In honor of Valentines day, we bring you the most romantic story ever told, in which two teenagers get married within 24 hours of meeting each other, and four people end up dead.
Romeo and Juliet, in case you hadn’t figured it out.
Here are a few of our favorite film retellings of the Bard’s classic tale:
5. Romeo and Juliet (2013) on Broadway, starring Orlando Bloom and Condola Rashad. Romeo shows up on a motorcycle and Juliet knows how to handle herself. What else do you need?
4. Romeo and Juliet (yeah, same title) starring Leonard Whiting and Olivia Hussey. Gorgeous filming and judicious cuts.
3. Warm Bodies starring Nicholas Holt and Teresa Palmer. A zombie meets a girl he suddenly wants to save, not eat. And the world starts changing. This movie, the least faithful of our retellings, is a romantic romp with a light side of zombie gore.
2. Romeo+Juliet starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. Set in a tacky suburb of Verona, ruled by glitz and gangs, this vivid retelling puts the passion and foolishness of the young lovers on full display.
1. West Side Story starring Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer. Set in a gang ridden NYC, with themes of racism and class conflict, this retelling’s music and dance bring passion beyond words.
Happy Valentine’s Day! (and happy cheap chocolate day tomorrow)